I got inspired by RV’s earlier blog regarding the role of Management Accountants. I searched in monster uk website and cherry picked two roles of accountants.
We are a profitable, leading global Internet telephony provider looking for a Financial Controller with responsibility to lead the effective management of financial and legal matters. This is a challenging and exciting role with visibility to the Board and an opportunity to play a significant role in the management and continued growth of the business. The Company is exploring strategic opportunities and M&A activity and/or a stock exchange listing are under consideration.
Responsibilities will include:
- Advising the management team/Board on financial and legal matters, providing financial input to help formulate/execute the company’s strategy
- Day to day responsibility running the finance department and assessing/overseeing the financial impact of business activities (ensuring they are correctly translated into P/L)
- Maintain and evolve strong financial and operational controls across the business
- Preparation/review of management accounts (and supporting documentation) and ad-hoc projects for management/Board
- Preparation of statutory accounts/management of audit
- Manage cash flow/credit control/call credit process/mitigate FX exposure and costs
- Manage payroll, PAYE, VAT and Corporation tax matters
- Company secretarial, regulatory reporting and compliance, contracts review (suppliers/customers)
- Tracking and supervision of ongoing commitments (e.g. leases, interconnect agreements, maintenance, software licenses etc.)
- Managing a small finance team to meet the demands of the business and to optimise productivity
- Preparation of the budgets, forecasts/business plans
- Manage insurance arrangements – combined policy, D&O, travel
- Managing a number of external relationships including: auditors/tax advisors, banks (UK and overseas), HMRC, lawyers, landlords/managing agents, insurance brokers, carriers on financial/credit matters, shareholders
The candidate will be comfortable working across all parts of the business, including the Board and will demonstrate a technically strong financial background. They are likely to be a qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA) with at least 3 years of Finance Manager/Financial Controller experience gained in a ‘hands on’ role in an SME (technology or telecommunications would be advantageous). Empathy with the customers and technology is important and being able not only to apply financial principles in different circumstances but also be able to adapt them in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment is critical. There are outstanding prospects for an exceptional candidate to be appointed to the Board.
- Strong financial and legal knowledge to be applied with common/commercial sense
- Amiable, confident, positive, multi-tasker, with discipline, enacity and who works well under pressure
- Professional at all times, energetic and committed to their work
Location: Docklands, E14 though some travel maybe required
Position Type: Full time, permanent
Salary: Excellent basic salary & benefits and great working environment
Our client is a world renowned organisation which has operations across the globe covering electronics, lighting, medical systems, consumer products, applied technologies, LCD’s and many more!
Their very modern UK offices are based in Guildford and they are currently searching for a Management Accountant for one of their Finance Teams.
The role will be assisting the Financial Controller in the preparation of the budgets, forecasts and management accounts of our clients Management & Services area.
Specific’s about the role include the following:
- Provide a management accounting support role for the Group Overheads & Services businesses.
- Report the business group’s results liaising with the European Accounting Services, Lodz, Poland.
- Assist in the preparation of the divisions Internal Control (ICS) and Sarbanes Oxley quarterly returns.
- Be the area super user for the SAP and procurement applications.
To provide an accounting input to cross departmental CMS initiatives to ensure that the resulting accounting process is efficient and practical to operate and that the appropriate controls have been identified and are being managed.
The right candidate will be a Qualified Accountant (ACCA, CIMA) who has a high level of computer literacy and an advanced level in Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes and SAP. You will also need to be a focused, self-motivated and dynamic candidate who has good communication skills and is confident with dealing with senior management.
Did I pick up a wrong example for the job description of Financial Controller & Management Accountant since in both the examples Management Accountant reports to Financial Controller. Please do not look at the educational qualifications that are needed for the job…. but the roles description needed to perform the job.
Your comments.. please.